Monday, March 2, 2009

Fuckin Finally: ULTRAMAN 2!!! well... sorta.

Well, this was finally fucking made.

See this absolutely incredible blog that all men should aspire to!



Making this film was one of the things that solidified my dream to be a filmmaker. After only a year of film school though, I've realized really how much more we could have done with this if Jared had remembered to bring an extra damn tape.

My part in this film was Camera operator some of the time, combat director, and the part of Ultraman when he's in his awesome mode. Because, Jared isn't cool enough to really direct in prime from inside a suit with beady little eyes.

Acting in this was fun, but wearing that suit was a bitch and a half. After the first round of shooting, I took of the jacket and my shirt was literally soaked (and I hadn't been anywhere near water). That was a very warm costume. Can't imagine what the oldschool Godzilla Suit must have been like.

me


Working with Don Frye was a blast. For someone that you would expect to be up his own ass with egotism since he can kick everyone's ass, he's really laid back. Seriously, Don Frye is awesome.

When we asked him to do the project (or really Jared), he was really chill about it. He was like, "Sure!"

I told him that he was going to do a fight scene with me and he gave me this look like 'dude, sweet'. Then he found out what it actually was and he laughed his ass off.

Yes, there was supposed to be a lot more choreography in the fighting, but dumbass Jared didn't bring an extra tape, and the one he had only had fifteen minutes left, so we had to cut the fighting footage short. Which was honestly a shame because I did a lot of extra fight choreography with grappling and throws. But we only had time for the beams and telekinesis.

The nerd-festedness that covered the shoot made the experience all the more fun. When Jared stood up and asked, "What's the motion that ultraman does that does the buzzsaw thing... it's like... (trails off)" Someone else stood up and said, "I know! It's like this! (does motion)."

Unfortunately, the morning of the shoot for the prelude, I was hungover with monster movies or something, so I couldn't join him. Which is really kind of a bummer, because looking back, I should have gotten off my ass and went.

But I didn't, so oh well. It turned out well though.

I'm grateful that Jared involved me in this shoot. I love making movies with him because he's so randomly inspired and the shoots are always spontaneous, so you never know what to expect. I don't think we even knew what the next shot was going to be half the time until we set up for it. Whereas a lot of people would get angry at this, I loved every second of it.

w00t!

1 comment:

DaiKamonohashi said...

Damn, I'm awesome. :D

Thanks, yo.