Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In Protest of No Camera

I went to the Louvre in France a while back. I can't post any pictures because the powers that be in their infinite wisdom have declared that there shall be no cameras within a 200 mile radius of the Mona Lisa.

In addition to stabbing, shooting, blowing up, or doing other cartoon-like things to the famous Leonardo painting... God Forbid someone might take a picture.

So, in keeping with this, there shall be no pictures of anything in this post. Because the Louvre says no. No pictures in this post whatsoever. I swear.

I took this trip long before I had any real appreciation of paintings, sculpture, or anything I saw in the Louvre at the time. But I most remember the Victory (a sculpture stationed on a cliff for sailors). Note in the picture that I haven't posted (no cameras) how much detail the artist put into the folds of fabric. And the wings are absolutely beautiful.

Anywho.

Seeing the Mona Lisa in person for the first time was breathtaking... even though I didn't fully understand very much about the work itself. Here I stood in front of the most famous painting ever made. I noticed the sky first. The Mona Lisa prints I'd seen before this had a bland gray sky of a dreary day. But the real thing had a multicolored sky that looked like the middle of a beautiful sunset. Too bad my protest doesn't allow me to post a picture.

I broke my promise.
What are you going to do about it?


Frustrating as hell not having a camera. I can't find any images of the Mona Lisa that depicted what I saw when standing in front of the thing, so the above work is what you get to see.

Anywho, the Mona Lisa isn't yellow like the above picture. It's FULL of color. It saddens me that the real work isn't all over the internet. It might have something to do with the real thing hiding behind bulletproof glass and security that even Bugs Bunny would have a hard time getting through.

The Mona Lisa is so important that it's importance is controversial. All this security to prevent activists from the radical artistic positions from destroying it. Even those who want to destroy it because of it's importance hold it important to destroy. Makes them hypocritical to me.

No comments: